The First International Anti-SNSD Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
SuperJunior
BridgieLuv
super_jessy
queenbqty
reii_x3
SAVE-KPOP
jumboshrimp
Drology
JC_chococat
QQLoveQQ
SuJuNiNi
yoomi
bigbangislove
Starr
Labakittie
19 posters

Leeching and Endless Promos: SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now

Labakittie
    Labakittie
    Super Anti

Female Number of posts : 450
    Warning :
    Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Left_bar_bleue0 / 100 / 10Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-04-29

Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Empty Leeching and Endless Promos: SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now

Post by Labakittie Sat 18 Jul 2009, 7:51 pm

Author's Note: Um, I have not written anything in ages, so I was a little petrified of how this was going to turn out, because of my being rusty. XD But a PM regarding the situation at the Super Show gave enough inspiration, and this is the result.

Leeching and Endless Promos: SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot

Much to the chagrin of STANDers and SNSD antis everywhere, 2009 will no doubt be remembered as the year that belonged to SNSD. The first half for certain. Not merely because of album sales (rumor has it that fans bought as many as ten copies to help the sales go well), but because SM put on a marketing campaign that I dare say no other SM artist has ever received in such a short amount of time.

From CFs to variety show and hosting appearances, to three different shows of their own (one canceled), two different mini-albums, all in the span of a half a year, SNSD is basking in the huge spotlight that SM has been good enough to set up for them.

And it is this crucial tactic to which SNSD owes much of their recent success.

If a group can stay in the public eye, they become part of the public consciousness. People are familiar with them and their music. It is publicity (good and bad) that helps people know who you are, and ultimately whether or not to patronize you.

Yes, some Sones may have gone out and bought more copies of their CD than they'll ever need, but if a group is visible for that long, and receives that much attention and promotion, the impression becomes that this group is the one that their company has the most faith in, and feels is the most successful and viable. And so SNSD is, purposely or not, being positioned to take on the role as the representatives of SM Entertainment in Korea.

Repre-WHAAAAAAAAT?!

No, that wasn't paranoia talking, think about it: What SM group or artist have you seen the most of in the past year? SNSD. What group has had the most promotion all year? SNSD. During no time in recent history has a company put their more popular male artists on the back burner in order to dedicate so much money and marketing to a female group. It was pretty much considered suicide once upon a time. You could say that their ability to do this shows how much the market has changed. Or you could say the money they've pulled in from other artists on their label allows them the financial freedom to do this.

SM Entertainment, through the treatment of its other acts, has singled out Girl's Generation to be their absolute poster girls. Other female artists have been downplayed into oblivion, and more popular male artists have seen their promotion in Korea cut significantly (when they aren't plugging SNSD at every turn). Everything for the past several months has been "Gee" and "Genie".

When a company shoves a group to the forefront in every way possible, and pushes everyone else into the background, there is no other message that can be sent: As of now, as of right now, SM Entertainment lives to serve SNSD.

Alternative Explanation: Self-Validation

Or do they?

The most logical and plausible explanation for the non-stop SNSD love by SM is a build up to the the SMTown09 and Dream Concerts, both around the corner.

Who can forget the humiliating rejection the group received at these events?

Certainly not SM. And so, this past year has been not necessarily about Korea finally seeing the charms of SNSD so much as SM doing everything in its power to make Korea see those charms, by making sure Korea sees lots of SNSD and in as bright a new light as possible.

In this precious window of time, with no true competition to speak of, SM has spent an unholy amount of time cultivating the image of SNSD as being their most successful, popular, and important group this year. At the expense of other, more profitable artists, SM has squeezed every drop of sweat and tears into brushing yesterday's boycotts under the rug, and embracing SNSD as their most viable talents.

What could possibly go wrong?

Forgiven And Forgotten?

Will Cassiopeia have forgotten being pegged at one point as a bunch of jealous fangirls with no real reason to dislike SNSD aside from school girl envy? Will ELF have forgotten the horror that was the Dream Concert last year, poster-ripping, physical assaults and all? Will the angry fans that boycotted SNSD in an unmistakable way have gotten over their statements being painted over by SM propaganda where articles deny such events ever took place?

Add to these burgeoning questions the unmistakably uneven promotion that SNSD has gotten at the expense of their seniors (and juniors), leeching off of them almost shamelessly, receiving the lion share of the marketing, multiple albums and TV shows. All this while these other fan clubs either A.) have to wait almost a year or two at a time to even see their idols together in Korea, and for a mere couple of months B.) Watch as SM cuts back their promotion time so that SNSD has little or no competition and C.) watch SNSD be set on a pedestal as the most popular SM artists, while their idols either play second fiddle or vanish entirely.

If SM's best efforts do not pay off in terms of a "water under the bridge" mentality by these people, we could see the wrath of these fan clubs unleashed in the most publicly embarrassing way yet. It's just a matter of time before we know for sure.

In any case, after all the marketing and money spent, SM, for all their publicized attempts to build up SNSD, have got to be praying hard to the Gods of Kpop for it to have not been in vain. And if they aren't, they'd better start lining up sacrifices ASAP.

What Lies Ahead?

I do not know how the huge concerts coming up will play out in regards to SNSD. I do not pretend to be psychic. However, I think that this blitz by SM Entertainment involving their nine mascots has indeed been building towards these concerts specifically, and how they are received at these concerts may very well dictate their future within the company.

If, after all the time and energy spent, SNSD is booed off the stage and or protested, look for them to be thrown under the bus and a new girl group to be introduced or re-introduced. If things go badly again, I can't imagine SM going through this again in 2010 in order to have things go well at those concerts. They may very well go the way of the Grace, with little or no explanation given to Sones. If SM feels they can treat fans of their artists any way they want, SNSD fans should not think they are immune.

If things go well, SM may continue to boldly market SNSD as the future of their company and their mascots. They may let other groups stew for as long as possible while devoting even more attention to the success of SNSD. Even so, I'd like to think they aren't so stupid as to have forgotten that the majority of their financial support doesn't necessarily come from this one group.

Only time will tell how long SM keeps these girls as their mascots and whether or not it will cost them in the long run.
    Starr
    Starr
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 267
    Warning :
    Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Left_bar_bleue0 / 100 / 10Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-07-05

Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Empty Re: Leeching and Endless Promos: SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now

Post by Starr Sat 18 Jul 2009, 8:44 pm

Nice job! This is really well written.

I hope SM goes broke trying to make people love the 9 "mascot". All this promotion of them is sad and unfair. And I have seen a few fans of other groups and singers go on rants about how little love thay are getting. In the end I think (and hope) this is what brings SM and their dirty tricks to an end. Razz Surprise
    bigbangislove
    Awesome Anti

Female Number of posts : 1555
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-01-07

Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Empty Re: Leeching and Endless Promos: SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now

Post by bigbangislove Sat 18 Jul 2009, 9:04 pm

It's all a (failed) marketing ploy to...
    A: Make SNSD SM's representative female artist
    B: Give them more (needed) promotion.

That's it.
    yoomi
    yoomi
    Super Anti

Female Number of posts : 323
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-12-10

Post by yoomi Sun 19 Jul 2009, 2:44 am

I've been thinking about this for a long time.

Rumor has it that CSJH and Jang Ri In are making a comeback in 2010, but nothing has been confirmed yet. And I think this is the reason why. It really seems as if SM is testing the "success" of SNSD first. If, through these concerts, the two largest fanclubs in Korea, as well as the others, participate actively despite the presence of SNSD, it would no longer come as a surprise if the comebacks of Jang Ri In and CSJH would be delayed further and further.

Truth is (and to the delight of lurker sones out there who will probably bring this piece of news to sissified), I'm not very confident about the upcoming SM Town Concert 'cause I don't think there's going to be a boycott this year, at least from the side of Cassiopeia.

Last year, due to the opinions of the dnbn family on the SM Town Live '08, we decided to participate in the boycott, but we do not have a problem this year.

That was from dnbn.org. They're actually reserving for tickets now for the Cassiopeia area. My friend told me that there hasn't been news on boycotting or having a black ocean from picnicxiah as well because so far, there hasn't been any issues concerning SNSD and DBSK. Aside from those two fansites, I'm clueless about the rest. (I'll probably check again later.)

As much as I love Cassiopeia, this disappoints me. Of course their focus would be on DBSK during the concert; most of them would seem indifferent towards the presence of SNSD. But this indifference could mean a good thing to SM. It's also disappointing how they're waiting for a scandal to happen before they would take action again. Isn't prevention always better than cure? Let SNSD pass this time and by the time DBSK comes back and SNSD starts leeching off again, SM might have renewed SNSD's contract and their boycotts and protests would not be able to do anything.

I'm still not losing faith on Cassiopeia; who knows, they suddenly might arrange plans on creating another black ocean. Attending the concert doesn't mean they'd be supporting and cheering for SNSD anyway (we'll be seeing that in the fancams). But I'm relying mostly on ELF and on the fans of SHINee (seeing that Shapley and Jumping would not be attending. I want Chocolates to come and support Ri In so that SM would see how loyal her fans are). Suju and SHINee are the ones who have been affected the most during the first half of the year given their short-lived comebacks because of SM's undying bias for SNSD. I hope they realize this and take action.

Aish. I'm not certain about anything, but let's just all hope for the best for the future of kpop.
    SuJuNiNi
    SuJuNiNi
    Super Anti

Female Number of posts : 405
    Warning :
    Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Left_bar_bleue1 / 101 / 10Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-01-30

Post by SuJuNiNi Sun 19 Jul 2009, 3:52 am

*Aplause*

I'm really tired how SM put their plastics in all sites. Why in Super Show? I'ts obviously SooMan said to the guys to sing Gee. I can't imagine Suju boys thinking "WOW let's sing Gee!", yeah of course! *sarcasm*
    Why they don't disband? I can't understand, SM considers 2009 as SNSD year? So what happen with Suju? Shinee? And all SM groups? WHY ALWAYS THAT 9 PLASTICS? Mad
    QQLoveQQ
    QQLoveQQ
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 255
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-01-30

Post by QQLoveQQ Sun 19 Jul 2009, 9:24 am

Nonetherless, SNSD will just remain SM's mascot. As long as Sunny wants to be in SM is as long as SNSD will live. No Buts, Ors, or whys. Sunny, SM's little niece. Though no longer the CEO of SM, as the founder, he has control over the CEO and all of SM at that. SM is always having rumors of new girl groups, but you haven't seen one new one since SNSD. I mean, SM probally has over 40 girl trainees to pick for a new group, yet they choose to let the trainees wait impatiently. Though, one light is our hope. at SMTown Live 09 they will be silenced once again, and some new SM groups shall reign. On another hand, as a SHINee Worlder, am I the only one who felt Juliette was not promoted much and just kinda died? Because SNSD was promoting at the time?
    JC_chococat
    JC_chococat
    Sexy Anti

Female Number of posts : 550
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-07-11

Post by JC_chococat Sun 19 Jul 2009, 8:49 pm

Really, SNSD is getting boring
    they're everywhere so it's lame & annoying
    SM's trying too hard to keep them, especially his niece, in fame
    I don't think they even worth all of that promotions
    I'm really hoping to see a boycott at SM Town Live '09 & DC
    it could be the last chances we have
    Drology
    Drology
    Anti

Number of posts : 42
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-29

Post by Drology Mon 20 Jul 2009, 7:17 pm

I'm sure it'll all go down the drain next time Taeyeon or Tiffany says something stupid, something they've proven themselves to be able of.
    jumboshrimp
    jumboshrimp
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 116
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post by jumboshrimp Tue 21 Jul 2009, 9:19 am

WOW... That was brilliantly written! I love you It still irks me that SNSD is unfairly promoted, and that already is enough to make me dislike them.
    SAVE-KPOP
    SAVE-KPOP
    Official Anti

Number of posts : 206
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by SAVE-KPOP Wed 22 Jul 2009, 11:38 am

I LOVE YOUR ARTICLE AND I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY. I will never forgive those stupid sones and SNSD for stabbing Cassiopians and ELFs in the back so many times. Stupid SM >=(

(Anyway your skills didn't turn rusty! It has become even better!! ^^)
    reii_x3
    Anti

Number of posts : 90
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-08

Post by reii_x3 Thu 23 Jul 2009, 12:48 am

your article is amazing :)
    i dont know why SM try so hard to SNDS to sucess..they should give up about SNDS and focus in other groups like SUJU and the grace..kystal or whatnot lol
    queenbqty
    queenbqty
    Awesome Anti

Female Number of posts : 1195
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-07-05

Post by queenbqty Thu 23 Jul 2009, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the article. I hope that the fans do boycott snsd or give them the silent treatment. I am sick of looking at them. I am a fan of several boy bands especially SS501 and I enjoy reading the news and watching performance and shows where they appear. But I cannot read or watch anything without there being some mention of snsd or having to look at their fugly faces. It seems like if one of those hags takes a dump, it is newsworthy to the news websites. There will be 2 to 3 articles a day about those talentless hags.
    I know that somebody must be paying these people to promote these chicks. I cannot stand the sight of them. But they are everywhere.
    I really don't understand the fascination some people have with those hags. I mean they are a singing group that can't sing. WTF.
    Can anybody recommend a kpop news website that is fair and unbiased and is not totally obsessed with that stinky, fugly, talentless group of tramps?
    super_jessy
    super_jessy
    Sexy Anti

Female Number of posts : 731
    Warning :
    Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Left_bar_bleue1 / 101 / 10Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-05-20

Post by super_jessy Mon 03 Aug 2009, 10:26 am

Really well written, thanks for that. =)

I think you've got a point about SM purposely putting in the spotlight so they can receive some fame and popularity before the big events- Dream Concert and SMTOWN Live '09. Last year they were humiliated and SM obviously didn't want that happening again, so he stuck these girls in our faces for the first half of this year. Another thing you got right is that, when someone is seen so much like SNSD are atm, they gain attention and people will recognize them which I think SM are trying to do- make them noticeable and making them a group of which people know each members names. So for these 2 major events coming up which happen to involve Cassiopeia and ELF, SM wanted them to "forgive" SNSD and Sone, if you like, for what happened, vice versa if you see it the other way round as in Sone. What Sone did to ELF and Cassiopeia is something I have not forgiven, hence why I am here, and I know this is what Sone accuse us of, but members here are also ELF or Cassiopeia. What these 2 fanclubs did was not out of jealously, but out of dislike. If it was out of jealously why would Triple S join in? They were not involved with the situation which shows. But Sone took it to another level- physical abuse, assult e.t.c. making them hate them more. I think it's truly awful what they did to these fangirls. I understand they we may have started it by the lightstick situation, but Sone just showed how low they were by doing this. A neutral person may say both sides were wrong, however when SM defended SNSD and Sone, I started to see another side of it. That SM didn't care about hurting their own companies income bringers- DBSK and Super Junior, more specifically their fanclubs which are the ones buying the CDs e.t.c. After that event, I started to dislike SM, as before I didn't know about the over working of stars, I just thought they had good artists such as Suju, DBSK and SHINee, and even more of SNSD.

Sometimes I wonder whether I dislike Sone or SNSD more...

Tbh, I'm skeptical of a boycott this year. Cassiopeia may not bother due to the situation atm. They are the biggest fanclub, so the boycott will automatically be cut by 50% if they do not take part. So maybe SM's plan will work?
    Another thing, will Cassiopeia even attend SMTOWN Live this year? =/
    BridgieLuv
    BridgieLuv
    Anti

Female Number of posts : 80
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by BridgieLuv Mon 03 Aug 2009, 2:07 pm

SNSD is just a bunch of.... its running around acting all popular&people love them. Ugh! They make me sick!

Seriously, i really hope theres another black ocean. After all they have done, its gunna be pretty hard for me myself to forgive them

Mascots of SM?! shouldn't the mascots of sm be better/more popular groups? Like DBSk, SuJu, even SHINee can pull it off... maybe. but SNSD?! Hecks no man! WTH is this BS?! Shocked
    SuperJunior
    SuperJunior
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 285
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-07-24

Post by SuperJunior Mon 10 Aug 2009, 3:13 am

Is that concert still going on???
    DBSK is filing for lawsuit right??
    So, 50 percent of the crowd wont be there
    still a black ocean
    Labakittie
    Labakittie
    Super Anti

Female Number of posts : 450
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

Post by Labakittie Mon 10 Aug 2009, 12:46 pm

^
    ^

The concert has been canceled and I'm thinking that SM artist's activities in Korea are actually ending for the moment.
    soshi?
    soshi?
    Super Anti

Number of posts : 386
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by soshi? Tue 18 Aug 2009, 7:00 am

lol.
    ai_sumairu
    ai_sumairu
    Awesome Anti

Female Number of posts : 1427
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Post by ai_sumairu Sun 20 Sep 2009, 12:41 am

I love your article!!! Leeching and Endless Promos:  SM's Black Hole Becomes Its Mascot...For Now 781612 I agree with everything that was written. SM is certainly putting them on the spotlight this year because well... I think he wants his <b>9</b> plastics to rule the year 200<b>9</b>. This year is so unbearable because of them... As for the whole mascot thing... *sigh* I'm getting tired of SM. As much as I love, DBSK, SJ, ZLY, Shinee, CSJH and BoA. I'm really getting tired. I can't help but envy the stars in YG... they're in great condition, they're happy and taken good care of. Everyone is treated equally and as a family. What about in SM? It's obvious he only cares about his 9 plastics where his nephew is a member...

K-Pop is slowly being destroyed... I wish everything would end already... Not just wishing for the disbandment of shitdaes but also for the boy groups who have been suffering because of scandals, rumors and lawsuits. I hope K-Pop would return to the way it used to be before...
    STANDuser
    STANDuser
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 142
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by STANDuser Mon 02 Nov 2009, 8:50 pm

Representatives? No, Just no.
    Mad
    When Nation Got Offended :
    Yuri made a slip of tongue, saying “My country” instead of “Our country” when referring to Korea, causing a national outcry. drunken
    yesungyesungyesung
    yesungyesungyesung
    Anti

Female Number of posts : 85
    Location : Indonesia but now fainted somewhere because of G.Dragon smile in Breathe MV >.<
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by yesungyesungyesung Sat 07 Nov 2009, 9:44 pm

nah, this year dream concert was suck..
    dont worry everybody,
    only the fanatic would buy their album..
    they just sell their body (which MOST of it made of SILICON)
    they make a huge promotion because that plastics cant sell their album well by using a "normal" promotion like other band group..
    well, lets see..
    in the super junior international anti fans.. MANY of their fans are support SuJu..
    in here ?? just a little (i think just 1..2.. or 3 maybe ??) who support that plastics ..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 4:22 pm