The First International Anti-SNSD Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
SeedFactor
HarryBerry
Telruunya
SuJuNiNi
ai_sumairu
Mizuki
ihatesl*ts
legendPHS
raintears10
soshihater
izzybellboo
paboshitdae
soshisucks12
blackbunny
pinkrebel18
lacus
fseventh
jaejae19
queenbee
23 posters

Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan

queenbee
    queenbee
    Admin
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 2166
    Warning :
    Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Left_bar_bleue0 / 100 / 10Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-03

Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Empty Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan

Post by queenbee Fri 06 Mar 2009, 5:43 am

What constitutes to being a fan?

What drives a fan to turn into a fanatic?

And what finally turns a fan into an anti?

Fandom, as we speak, seems to be evolving. If once we had people who were just content as being fans of an artist, nowadays, we have fanatics who not only would go through hell or high water just to have a glimpse of their idols, but would go through any means, even resort to violence, just to protect their stars.

According to Winston Churchill, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Even if something bad has been done, in the eyes of a fanatic, it is normal, and would also go through any means to make excuses for the inappropriate behaviour or even to the extent of covering it up if it’s too demeaning. In these cases, what used to be ordinary fans have become so fascinated with the objects of their infatuation that they become obsessive, manipulative and resort to engaging in behaviours that are considered extreme or abnormal.

The term obsession may be considered to be too extreme. But in the eyes of a fanatical fan, it borders on “love”. As ordinary fans seem to be content on seeing their idols live on stage performing, fanatics would usually go to extremes to actually meet their idols face to face, engage in conversation, get their contact details, follow them around wherever they go, even to the point of stalking their idols during their private time.

For example, a fan would probably know their idols’ songs, know their dance routines, even go to the extent of knowing information about their personal lives (e.g. blood type, parents names, brothers/sisters, favourite food, etc.), but a fanatic would probably be able to produce their idols’ biography from birth to present with matching photographic evidences.

However…

While some may conceive fanaticism abhorrent and wrong, it is actually part of human nature, wherein humans have the tendency to “idolize” certain individuals, putting these people up in pedestals as a means of escape from their own “world”.

Case in point: fans that tend to have more friends in their “fandom” as opposed to having friends in their own school or community. It could probably be a case of being self-conscious around people (meaning they are really shy) and being an introvert (not a social person)… and finally having the anonymity of the internet actually gives this person more self-confidence.

Friends are still considered “friends”… be it real or online. Not that it is encouraged, given the number of internet weirdoes out there. But being part of a fandom lets you meet people who actually share the same interest as you and thus, makes you more comfortable talking to them. And in the end, actually meet real people who really do become your friends.

So, when is fanaticism considered wrong?

When other people in your fandom “dictate” you on what you should and should not do.

When said “friends” force you into their beliefs, no matter how wrong or perverse it becomes, using the excuse of “they are idol stars… *insert excuse*… they can do no wrong”.

Case point: when said idol does an on-air mishap and fanatical fans rush to their defense, stating that because they are idol stars, they have a busy schedule, thus they got sick and was not feeling well that time, therefore the “minor” slip of the tongue during live broadcast… and of course, we as “mere fans” should understand this and not say anything negative about it. And when said idols finally realizes the blunder they have made and issues an apology, fanatics then call their idols as “angels” who have realized their mistake and thus makes them more lovable in their eyes. So much so, that even if mistakes occur one after the other, all is still deemed inconsequential, because in the end, they are still “angels who can do no wrong”.

Another is when said fanatical fan spends more time online, as opposed to normal social standards, making their fandom their morning, afternoon, and evening routine. So much so that said fanatics have a tendency to be in their own “world”.

Case point: fans that tend to over-obsess on their idols to point of making up stories about them just so other people would place interest on their idol. If they feel that their idol is going down, they would go about spreading false rumours and “blatant” innuendos in the hope of giving their idols more exposure to other fandoms. I used the opposing terms blatant and innuendo as a way to describe their handiwork, for although they spread out these rumours are merely “rumours”, they include in their misinformation such wording as, “do not quote me on this… but according to this person who works in the same company as *insert name of idol* that they are dating...” or the famous “fans saw them together having dinner…”

Misguided as it is, what is even more disturbing is having other fanatics believe said fan’s stories and actually consider this make-believe world to be true.

Another type of fandom which seems to be prevalent nowadays is what we call anti-fans.

To be honest, I have never heard of anti-fans before. There are critiques, anarchists, or simply those people who would prefer digging up dirt on celebrities and bask on their humiliation rather than actually write on the stars themselves. It was only recently, when I got into the kpop culture that I finally came across the term “anti” and “anti fan”. And more often than not, it comes up in the middle of a derogatory sentence.

By definition:
    anti-fan n. A person who passionately dislikes a celebrity or other well-known person or entity. – adj
    Source

So why would a person turn into being an anti?

What drives these people to actually “dislike” a celebrity?

Aren’t celebrities supposed to be adored by the general public? The reason why they became celebrities in the first place is because of their popularity right?

So shouldn’t popularity plus stardom equal to public adoration?

More often than not, antis are thought of as “low-life individuals” whose only objective is to “destroy” the celebrity they dislike. Some would often go as far as being violent and physically attacking the object of their dislike. In a more appropriate term, these antis can be classified as “fanatical anti-fans”.

Yes, they are the anti-thesis of “fanatical fans”.

More often than not, their obsession towards the same idol star would actually rival each other.

Case point: An anti-fan puts poison in an idol’s drink and pretends to be a fan just to get close enough to said idol star in order to give them the mix. Said anti-fan would watch every move the celebrity made, knows their schedule enough to know as to when a fan meeting was held, waited in line to catch a glimpse of the celebrity, bought him “gifts”, and even went so far as to blatantly announce the “deed”.

How different is the said anti fan from the fan who stalks the celebrities’ every move? While going to a salon, or eating at a restaurant, or checking in and out of an airport? They know their schedule so much so that they attend all their TV and radio guestings, attend all their concerts (be it in whatever country they go to), give them letters and presents, and finally post all the pictures/videos acquired through all these activities in the net.

Content is the same.

It’s the intent which only differs.

One is about hate and dislike, while the other is about love and adoration.

So how is being an anti justified?

How is fanaticism considered reasonable?

Simply stated, both are NOT acceptable.

Violence is never the answer… nor is stalking…

However, there is such a thing as choice.

While most might argue that ignorance is the key rather than hating - e.g. “if you don’t like them, then just ignore them” – ignorance never really solved any of the world’s problems. That and if Isaac Newton ignored the fallen apple in his backyard, a lot of scientific achievements may not have been made.

This is why a balance has been acquired… rather than being simply being a fan or choosing to be ignorant or being violent... Thus the CIVIL anti was born.

Instead of having the connotation of “violence” and “hatred” for the word anti, civil antis now practice the notion of non-violence in the form of peaceful protests to show their DISLIKE on a certain artist.

A silent audience, an empty stadium, an ‘X’ sign. These are all forms of protests, the protesters being anti fans of certain idol stars. But in all these protests, not one of these anti-fans got close to these celebrities. Not one of them walked in and gave them poison-laced drink, or threw a bag in their face, or sent them violent messages like death threats, being raped, and being beaten up when they see them in the streets.

Simply put, civil antis are fans who belong to their own fandom. They are fans who love and adore their own idols but are willing to accept that their idols are not gods, but rather, human, just like the rest of us.

Mistakes are made, and apologies are acceptable. But constant blunders, and repetitive offences can take their toll. And it does not help if said celebrities are not that sincere in their “need to change”.

Case in point: An idol promises to improve in their skills. But if in every performance, a line is sung out of tune, or a dance routine is messed up or uncoordinated, how can fanatical fans defend each mistake as “they were sick that time” or “the equipments were not working properly”? And how can these idol stars, time and again, give out excuses of “sickness” and “fatigue” when all the OTHER celebrities were able to do much better, even though they must also be tired and not feeling well from their own busy schedules?

Civil antis see this as offensive. How so? It is saying that the reason why these idols are sick is because they are “busy working hard”. So then… is it their way of saying that the other idol stars are NOT working as hard or as busy since they got through their performances quite easily?

The constant play for pity is also getting distasteful. One would think that with all the grievances these idols have made on air, they would be better off in another line of work. But no… these idols’ fanatical fans use the “pity talk” to attract more fanatics, spreading stories of impending medical malady and using the line of “if you were in their shoes…”

Fortunately, fans are now maturing. Not everything needs to be accepted blindly as ignorance can only be tolerated by so much. Just because idols come in pretty packages, fans should not accept them wholeheartedly.

First of all, there should be talent. Why look up to someone whose only purpose in the entertainment industry is to act like a 10-year-old even if said celebrity is already almost 20? Second, there should be respect. If the person you look up shows no respect to others, why bother respecting them back? Third, holding unto the title of “idol” comes with great responsibility. An idol star is someone fans look up to and most often than not, revered (as discussed regarding fanaticism). So setting an example is a must. They should be responsible for their words and actions as they are seen as public figures.

Just because people nowadays have the connotation of “anti” alongside their fandom, does not necessarily mean “negative”. Just because these fans anti a certain artist makes it bad or reflects negatively on their own idols… one should understand the reasoning and logic behind such actions before blindly pointing fingers and accusing everyone with disparaging remarks. For one thing, how different is one person labelled as an anti-fan with a group fanatic?

Sample:
    An anti fan’s post

VERSUS

A fanatic’s post:
    Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Lolll110

So I guess the big question now is… which category would you prefer to be?

Last edited by queenbee on Sun 21 Jun 2009, 6:42 am; edited 3 times in total
    jaejae19
    jaejae19
    Graphic Artists
    Graphic Artists

Number of posts : 1569
    Warning :
    Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Left_bar_bleue0 / 100 / 10Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-11

Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Empty Re: Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan

Post by jaejae19 Fri 06 Mar 2009, 6:09 am

Great differentiation bee~

*sings Crack dat Soulja Boy*

music

I CHOOSE TO BE A CIVIL ANTI-FAN.

Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan 594437
    fseventh
    fseventh
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 136
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-01-04

Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Empty Re: Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan

Post by fseventh Fri 06 Mar 2009, 9:05 am

Bee.... love you more with your article.... I definitely agree with you. I'm a civil anti, for sure. I never want to hurt SNSD, and I also never bash them outside this forum.

I love most your point here

Case in point: An idol promises to improve in their skills. But if in every performance, a line is sung out of tune, or a dance routine is messed up or uncoordinated, how can fanatical fans defend each mistake as “they were sick that time” or “the equipments were not working properly”? And how can these idol stars, time and again, give out excuses of “sickness” and “fatigue” when all the OTHER celebrities were able to do much better, even though they must also be tired and not feeling well from their own busy schedules?

This... this thing that made me became an anti too. SNSD has never improved. Always constant mistake and what I hate more that the fans always gave excuse. I couldn't count how many times Mr Tae is sick this year... if your idol is sick... better lock them up in hospital. This reason is the reason why I became an anti. For me, an entertainer is the one who entertains people without people need to know sweats and cries behind it.
    lacus
    lacus
    Sexy Anti

Female Number of posts : 530
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by lacus Fri 06 Mar 2009, 10:18 am

i love ur article.. Surprise
    pinkrebel18
    pinkrebel18
    Sexy Anti

Female Number of posts : 563
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-09-05

Post by pinkrebel18 Fri 06 Mar 2009, 11:09 am

I'm a civil anti too! I never once bashed or insulted Sh!tdaes & delusionfuls out of our turf..
    blackbunny
    blackbunny
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 154
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-12-06

Post by blackbunny Fri 06 Mar 2009, 12:38 pm

oh..*speechless*..that was super good! :)

I, TOO, CHOOSE TO BE A CIVIL ANTI_FAN.

I hope I can keep this up..>.<
    soshisucks12
    Beginner Anti

Number of posts : 22
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by soshisucks12 Fri 06 Mar 2009, 1:44 pm

I think I'm a civil anti.

Speaking of fanatics. Have you read the fanfics that SNSD fans do about pairings (like Yulsic and stuff..)? Some fanfics are REALLY DISTURBING. Like one, where Taeyeon got hit by a car and Tiffany took her body to live with her 0_0! Can you say CREEPY?
    paboshitdae
    paboshitdae
    Awesome Anti

Female Number of posts : 1357
    Warning :
    Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Left_bar_bleue1 / 101 / 10Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by paboshitdae Fri 06 Mar 2009, 4:36 pm

pinkrebel18 wrote:I'm a civil anti too! I never once bashed or insulted Sh!tdaes & delusionfuls out of our turf..

samesame.
    all the bashing i do about snsd or complaining is strictly on STAND or to any of my anti-fan.
    izzybellboo
    izzybellboo
    Sexy Anti

Female Number of posts : 733
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-11-30

Post by izzybellboo Fri 06 Mar 2009, 6:59 pm

Queenbee, come over here so I can GLOMP you to bits.

This piece has strengthened my confidence in my STANDing. I can always count on STAND to rejuvenate my battle =)

STAND is love.
    soshihater
    soshihater
    Sexy Anti

Female Number of posts : 795
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-13

Post by soshihater Fri 06 Mar 2009, 8:07 pm

i'm with you, bee~
    i think i'm a civil anti, because unlike those crazy delusionals who tend to bash WG and other girlbands outside i never bash shitD in another forum...
    and i think most of sones are FANATICS because you know whow they always defend their idols blindly and brutally..never wanna hear our reasons first..
    saying that anti is stupid, ugly, jealous, bla bla bla~
    raintears10
    raintears10
    Anti

Number of posts : 70
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Post by raintears10 Fri 06 Mar 2009, 9:10 pm

*Glomps QB* tongue

Another wonderful, well-writen article.
    I agree with everything you said.

Like many others have said, I don't talk about snsd outside of STAND. I know that they're fans on youtube, allkpop, soompi, etc.... so I don't bother to talk about them there because I know I will get a major backlash from them if I do.
    Also the part about fanatics putting their idols on pedestals...I totally agree with that. Fans need to realize that Idols are humans, they make mistakes just like we do. But the things with sones is that they make excuses for them every single time something happens. It's really annoying......

Sigh, but as you said QB, Fanatics are fanatics.....

Me.....I'm a Civil Anti....STANDing Surprise

Last edited by kiwichan08 on Sat 07 Mar 2009, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It's QB not BB....but I <3 both ^-^)
    queenbee
    queenbee
    Admin
    Admin

Female Number of posts : 2166
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by queenbee Sat 07 Mar 2009, 1:53 am

kiwichan08 wrote:*Glomps BB*

but... but... but...

I'm not BB.... Sad

BB = Bento Box

alone!

*me thinks I should change my username*
    O__O
    legendPHS
    legendPHS
    Anti

Number of posts : 50
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by legendPHS Sat 07 Mar 2009, 4:50 am

*Shakes head*
    C'mon delusionalfool, we are immature we are rude?
    Read your post twice before you press the "post" button...
    Soshi antis were only off their lightstick, raise their X sign WITHOUT CAUSED ANY PHYSICAL INJURIES!
    But you...throwing water bottle at us and see how immature are we? Now who are the immature one?

In this democrazy era, we can hate whoever we want in a peaceful way, we can voice any dissatisfaction towards shitdae, now back your cave and do whatever incivil things you like.

When only one person hate them, you can give excuses like jealousy, but when the number of antis are growing like mushrooms (which I think one day in the future we might help shitdae break the guinness record), the so-called populat star and their hardcore fans should stop the fingers pointing game and look at their attitude over and over again!
    raintears10
    raintears10
    Anti

Number of posts : 70
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Post by raintears10 Sat 07 Mar 2009, 9:28 am

queenbee wrote:

but... but... but...

I'm not BB.... Sad

BB = Bento Box

alone!

*me thinks I should change my username*
    O__O

edit* LOL sorry Queen Bee. I made a Typo.... I typed my post late at night...was half-asleep while writing it.... don't change your name.... you are a queen to me <3 tongue
    ihatesl*ts
    ihatesl*ts
    Anti

Female Number of posts : 97
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by ihatesl*ts Sun 08 Mar 2009, 9:16 am

What's all this bits about glomping QB??haha

Anyways, it's a very well written article. *Applaud*
    I doubt Sones will be able to understand your post though. Your logic is beyond their level of IQ.
    Mizuki
    Mizuki
    Awesome Anti

Female Number of posts : 1185
    Warning :
    Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Left_bar_bleue1 / 101 / 10Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-12-17

Post by Mizuki Tue 10 Mar 2009, 4:22 pm

Very well written, dear. I wrote a paper for my English class about SNSD antism and I mentioned some of the stuff you have up there. :] Good guys may finish last, but good guys always win.
    ai_sumairu
    ai_sumairu
    Awesome Anti

Female Number of posts : 1427
    Warning :

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Post by ai_sumairu Thu 12 Mar 2009, 9:24 am

I agree with everything that you stated. All of them are true. And I'll definitely choose to be a civil anti-fan anytime and anywhere.

Psh... And insanes says they're harmless. Do they even know the definition of harmless? No harmless fans bring a knife during concerts nor attack other fandoms fans. Nor do they throw water bottles at anyone. Seriously, who are they fooling?

Civil Anti-fan for the win. :)
    SuJuNiNi
    SuJuNiNi
    Super Anti

Female Number of posts : 405
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-01-30

Post by SuJuNiNi Wed 08 Apr 2009, 12:16 pm

O___O WOW!

CIVIL ANTI-FAN
    Telruunya
    Telruunya
    Super Mod
    Super Mod

Female Number of posts : 1323
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-28

Post by Telruunya Wed 08 Apr 2009, 12:33 pm

whoaa.. I ... can't even .. say anything.. right now! ,
    I totally agree with u hun' wow!

*speechless*

Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan 176544
    HarryBerry
    Anti

Male Number of posts : 97
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Post by HarryBerry Wed 08 Apr 2009, 5:28 pm

Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan 628728 Fan vs. Fanatics vs. Antifan vs. Civil antifan 176544

Article is pro

I Choose to be a Civil Anti Razz I don't wanna hurt those girls but i want to open their eyes and let them see all the sht they have caused >.>

Anti Fanatic is scary o.o lol.. so is a Fanatic o.o Stalk Stalk Stalk kill D:

or Stalk Stalk Stalk Rape ( since they like their " Idol " or "singer " )
    SeedFactor
    SeedFactor
    Beginner Anti

Female Number of posts : 33
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-05-30

Post by SeedFactor Sat 13 Jun 2009, 1:36 am

Awesome post. x3

YunHo's superglue-laced drink. D: </3
    Some antis are mad.

I hate SNSD to no end but I would never try to poison any of them, as tempting as it may be. I'll just stay away from those plastic things. Dx
    mawyni
    mawyni
    Official Anti

Female Number of posts : 106
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-05-29

Post by mawyni Mon 15 Jun 2009, 6:20 am

Wow that was a really long post!! I feel better after reading this. My friends consider me a fanatic but that's only cause I'm the only one who's interested in KPop. It's good to know there's a fine line between being a fan and being a fanatic.
    BecauseI'mStupid
    Official Anti

Number of posts : 229
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-05-29

Post by BecauseI'mStupid Mon 15 Jun 2009, 7:01 am

well said. I forgot the capture one more evidence on YT.

she/he said that she/he hope antis will get swine flu and die.

Uh... that's not about rude anymore but heartless.
    Sachie
    Sachie
    Awesome Anti

Female Number of posts : 1328
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-05-08

Post by Sachie Mon 15 Jun 2009, 8:43 am

totally agree with your article.

I Choose to be a Civil Anti.
    KangNaMi
    KangNaMi
    Sexy Anti

Female Number of posts : 529
    Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by KangNaMi Fri 09 Oct 2009, 2:11 am

Well said..
    Sones should read this..
    But I am not sure if they might get it..
    We all know how they are.. clown

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 9:59 am